Through the use of CEREC technology, which combines 3-D digital imaging, CAD/CAM technology, and a sophisticated in-office milling unit, Beautiful Smiles can produce CEREC all-porcelain crowns in a single appointment.
Dental crowns are often referred to as a “cap” because they cover the tooth entirely, restoring strength and allowing a patient to keep the natural tooth root in place to avoid the effects of tooth loss.
Dental crowns can have both restorative and cosmetic uses, addressing damaged, decayed, discolored or misshapen teeth.
Dr. Goris will prepare the tooth for the crown. The prepared tooth is then coated with a white powder, which enhances the ability to capture a digital image of the tooth. Images of the prepared tooth are captured with a 3-D camera and uploaded to the CEREC computer.
The crown is designed using CEREC’s CAD/CAM technology and may be modified by Dr. Goris in order to achieve the best crown design. This information is sent to the in-office milling unit, which fabricates the crown in about 6 minutes. The crown is tried in to ensure proper fit, polished, and cemented into the mouth.
Patients can leave with a fully restored, comfortable and permanent solution for a damaged or decayed tooth.
Advantages of CEREC – Same Day Crowns
- Less tooth sensitivity: the crown material matches the composition of natural tooth structure. This means when hot or cold substances are consumed, the restoration and tooth expand and contract together, unlike conventional crowns, minimizing sensitivity.
- Time savings: only one appointment is needed for a CEREC crown – when you leave, you have your new, permanent crown. By comparison, conventional crowns require two separate appointments before you have your permanent crown. For 2 to 3 weeks while a conventional crown is being made by an external lab, the patient wears a temporary crown, which is more susceptible to breaks or similar complications.
- Stronger teeth: the milled porcelain used for a CEREC crown is stronger than traditional, lab-fabricated crowns.
- Aesthetics.: similar to natural teeth, CEREC crowns allow light to pass through, resulting in a more natural looking appearance
- Natural: the CEREC 3-D technology copies the original tooth more accurately than traditional impressions used to fabricate conventional crowns. The result is a crown that is a near-copy of the natural tooth.