Tooth stains can be extrinsic or intrinsic. Extrinsic tooth stains may be caused by factors including poor oral hygiene, tobacco use, staining foods, and beverages. Intrinsic tooth stains are found within the tooth. These stains are often caused by a dental injury or tooth wear that exposes the dentin, the dark underlayer beneath the enamel. Dr. Benjamin Stevens can treat patients with intrinsically or extrinsically discolored teeth in Greenwood, IN.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
The most common causes of discolored teeth include:
- Food and beverages: Tea, coffee, wine, tomatoes, berries, and other foods and beverages can stain teeth over time. This is because they contain chromogens, pigments that can stick to the tooth enamel.
- Tobacco products: Smoking cigarettes, vaping, and using other tobacco products can make the teeth appear yellowed. Any product that contains nicotine stains the teeth.
- Medications and medical conditions: Patients who take antihistamines, antipsychotics, and high blood pressure medications may notice tooth discoloration as a side effect.
Cosmetic Treatments to Whiten Teeth
Dr. Stevens provides these whitening treatments to brighten his patients smiles:
- Porcelain Veneers: Dental veneers use shell-like covers to change the shape, size, and color of teeth. Because dental veneers are made of a porcelain ceramic material, they reflect the light like natural teeth.
- Teeth Bonding: Dental bonding is a quicker and more economical treatment than veneers. Bonding material can be molded and sculpted onto the tooth’s surface to address any cosmetic imperfections, including tooth discoloration. Once cured, the bonding material looks and feels like natural teeth.
- Professional Teeth Whitening: Take-home and in-office teeth whitening can whiten discolored tooth enamel by multiple shades. For the convenience of our patients, we can create customized take-home whitening trays. These trays are filled with a whitening gel and worn like a mouthguard. In-office whitening with Zoom! uses a whitening gel that is activated and cured with a special light. Patients who choose in-office whitening can see immediate results.
Contact Our Dental Office Today
If you have dull, yellowed, stained, or otherwise discolored teeth, request a dental appointment with Dr. Stevens online. You can also call Beautiful Smiles at (317) 886-4512.