Same Day Dental Crowns An Overview
Through the use of CEREC technology, which combines 3-D digital imaging, CAD/CAM technology, and a sophisticated in-office milling unit, Beautiful Smiles can produce CEREC all-porcelain crowns in a single appointment.
Dental crowns are often referred to as a “cap” because they cover the tooth entirely, restoring strength and allowing a patient to keep the natural tooth root in place to avoid the effects of tooth loss. A dental crown can also be used as a prosthetic tooth and secured to a dental implant to replace a single missing tooth.
Advantages of CEREC – Same Day Crowns
- Less tooth sensitivity: the crown material matches the composition of natural tooth structure. This means when hot or cold substances are consumed, the restoration and tooth expand and contract together, unlike conventional crowns, minimizing sensitivity.
- Time-saving: only one appointment is needed for a CEREC crown – when you leave, you have your new, permanent crown. By comparison, conventional crowns require two separate appointments before you have your permanent crown. For 2 to 3 weeks while a conventional crown is being made by an external lab, the patient wears a temporary crown, which is more susceptible to breaks or similar complications.
- Stronger teeth: the milled porcelain used for a CEREC crown is stronger than traditional, lab-fabricated crowns.
- Aesthetics: similar to natural teeth, CEREC crowns allow light to pass through, resulting in a more natural looking appearance
- Natural: the CEREC 3-D technology copies the original tooth more accurately than traditional impressions used to fabricate conventional crowns. The result is a crown that is a near-copy of the natural tooth.